Sunday 25 May 2008

Book Awards Reading Challenge II




Yes, you are seeing correctly. I am joining another Reading challenge! I think I like this one because it's from a wide selection of award winners. I thought the list of awards I could choose from (that I love reading naturally) looked really fun: The Agatha, The Edgar, World Fantasy, Nebula, Gold Dagger - yes, mystery or fantasy awards! I can do that! they are there, as well as the Dublin, Giller (our own Canadian Book Award), the Governor General (another Canadian Award), The Arthur C. Clarke, The Carnegie, the Newbery, on and on the list goes. Something for everyone, I think. 3M at 1MoreChapter is hosting this challenge. Here is the link to the challenge

Here are the rules:
10 months. 10 award winners.
Rules:


1. Read 10 award winners from August 1, 2008 through June 1, 2009.

2. You must have at least FIVE different awards in your ten titles.

3. Overlaps with other challenges are permitted.

4. You don't have to post your choices right away, and your list can change at any time.

5. 'Award winners' is loosely defined; make the challenge fit your needs, keeping in mind Rule #2.


And gee, I have already named the 5 awards that most interest me! I have to admit, I have no idea what books I am going to select just yet. Oooh, I see the Bram Stoker Award too.... I am going to leave my list empty for now, and add to it as I find them. I just saw this challenge and knew it was another one I could have fun doing. A lot of fun.

Duncan Lawrie Dagger (formerly the CWA Gold Dagger Award, mystery)
1. The Broken Shore - Peter Temple
Duncan Lawrie International Dagger (best mystery translated into English)
2. Wash This Blood Clean From My Hand - Fred Vargas (2007 winner) - DONE
3. Beowulf - Seamus Heaney - Whitbread Award winner 1999
4. Briar Rose - Jane Yolen - Mythopoeic Award - DONE
5. Possession - A.S. Byatt - Booker Prize
6. Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie (Booker Prize)
7. DONE - Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Susannna Clarke (World Fantasy Award)-
8. DONE - Tamsin - Peter S. Beagle (Mythopoeic Award)
9. Birthday Letters - Ted Hughes (Whitbread Award Winner 1998)
10. Alive Together - Lisel Mueller (winner, 1997 Pulitzer Prize for Poetry)

I will let you know, Gentle Reader, when I choose my books, or I'll list them on my sidebar. Thanks, 3M, for hosting this one!!!

********ALTERNATES***********************ADDED FEB 11 2009.
1.DONE - Doomsday Book - Connie Willis (Nebula Award, 1992)
2. DONE - The Grey King - Susan Cooper (Newbery Medal Winner, 1976)
3. DONE - Watchmen - Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons (Hugo Award for "Other Form", 1988)
4. DONE - Case Histories - Kate Atkinson (Prix Westminster, 2004)
5. DONE - The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss ( Quill Award, 2007)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't decided about this one. I have one more book to read for the original challenge and have so many ongoing challenges at the moment I don't think I can handle another one! I am interested to see what you pick though.

Ana S. said...

Have fun with the challenge! I look forward to seeing what you pick. Like Rhinoa, I think I'll pass this time...too many challenges for me to handle as it is.