Saturday 1 December 2007

Thirteen Books I haven't read this year......

I just found this meme on Dorothy's site at www.booksandbikes.wordpress.com and I think it fits right in with all the challenges I've been preparing for next year - it's good to look back and see what I haven't managed to read - again - this year!
1. Quicksilver - Neal Stephenson. I guess because it comes in three volumes, and they split the second two volumes into two each, so that's five books to read this series!! has been a slight drawback as my time to read is not so large right now.....
2.Wicked - Gregory Maguire - I don't know why I haven't read this book yet!! Very annoying, so maybe I'll be so annoyed I'll pick it up and read it! Before January!
3.Mars Eclipsed - Karen Irving. 3rd in a Canadian mystery series set here in Ottawa. I actually like the series, i just haven't gotten around to this one. Maybe I can switch it onto my Canadian Book Challenge for next year....
4.1610 A Sundial in A Grave - Mary Gentle. I loved Ash, I loved Of Rats and Gargoyles, so I think it's because it's in trade paperback, which means I need a long weekend to read it....and it's too heavy to carry around with me......
5The Thief Lord - Cornelia Funke. I haven't read any of this author yet! And I really want to read Inkheart (which I haven't got yet)! Another annoying miss that may find itself being read next year....
6.London - The Biography - Peter Ackroyd. I've been meaning to read this since I gave to it my husband several years ago! We both love London and I am fascinated by it's history......so why not read? I don't think I'm saving it for anything special! I think I want more regular time to read, that's all, before tackling this one. And it might make me miss England too much to read now.
7.War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy. Forever, I've been meaning to read this book!!! And I still haven't done it!!! Why not? For years, I thought of it as a summer read for the beach, where I could read in uninterrupted bliss. But once summer holidays came (and I left home early, so that was my only holiday time of the year since I worked in retail then) I found I didn't want to read a 500 + page book. So, it languishes on my shelf. Maybe I'm afraid to read it because it is rated so highly, one of the best novels ever written? Nah. I want to read it for that reason! Ok, maybe year after next....
8. 1700 - Scenes from London Life, Maureen Waller. See above about London, it applies here too......and I love reading about daily life in earlier times, so this is one that I just haven't found time for.....so many books, so little time! If this hadn't already been taken for someone else's blog name, it was going to be mine!
9.Elizath - David Starkey. I've been meaning to read this book for 6 years now!!! I even went to see the author give a talk in Borders bookstore in York, England, in 2001, on this book, and it was interesting and enjoyable!!! but I am just not in the mood......maybe after I see the movie (which will probably be on DVD at the rate I am getting out to movies this year!)
10) A Gentlewoman in Uppper Canada, the Journals of Anne Langton. For innumerable years it has sat on my shelves, and I keep pulling it down, leafing through it, but i've never read it through. Again one that I put on and pulled off of my Canadian Book Challenge. And I am fascinated by Canadian Pioneer history. One of my favourite things to do as a tourist is to imagine what life was like back 'then', however far back in time it is. And Anne travelled to parts of Ontario in the 1860's when my family lived there at that time. So it's more again, picking and choosing books and this one didn't make it, but now that I'm writing about it I feel really guilty so maybe I can squeeze it into the Canadian Book Challenge too!
11). A Small Sound of the Trumpet - Margaret Lebarge. Very popular book on medieval woman and I enjoy medieval history, but this has sat languishing on my shelves for many years now. Maybe I prefer to experience history rather than read about it? Or maybe I have to be in the right mood for history, and young children in the house isn't conducive to quiet reading!
12) Life in a Medieval City - Joseph and Frances Gies. H-m-m, quite a few of my unread books are non-fiction, arent' they? I keep this for history reference too, for my writing. Guess I haven't needed to read it through yet, but I know I have referred to it.
13)The Hero with a Thousand Faces - Joseph Campbell. I did try reading this a few years ago, but got bogged down with it. I still want to read it, hence it has remained on my shelves for years. This book is on my TBR list for next year, so I am intending to finally read the whole thing. It's like the White Goddess by Robert Graves, I can only read a little at a time even though i find it fascinating. I'm not sure why, I'll have to think on it.

1 comment:

Sam said...

London: the biography - seriously good!! I even bought a duplicate copy a few years after the first one (honest mistake I assure you!) because it looked so good and I forgot that I already had it!!