Monday 15 October 2007

Canadian Book challenge list posted

I did it! I got 13 books chosen for the Canadian Book Challenge, running from now until July 1 2008.

  1. CANADIAN BOOK CHALLENGE Oct 2007 – July 1 2008 (13 books)

- the Penelopiad – Margaret Atwood

- Widdershins – Charles de Lint *

- A Touch of Panic – L.R. Wright

- Emily of New Moon – L.M. Montgomery*

- The Canadian Settler's Guide – Catherine Parr Traill *

- The Writing Life – ed Constance Rooke

- Northern Frights 2 – ed Don Hutchison *

- Bitten – Kelley Armstrong

- Life of Pi – Yann Martel

- A History of Reading – Alberto Manguel

- Still Life – Louise Penny *


- Piece of My Heart – Peter Robinson *

- The End of Elsewhere – Taras Grescoe *

I've been really good, only one book is a reread - Emily of New Moon - the rest are new books to read! I'm actually excited about this list, and with Canadian books it can be hit or miss. Much of Canlit I don't like - my mother read Miriam Toews 'An Complicated Kindness" which she said 'finished like a typical Canadian book'. I have yet to read it, and would have put it on my list but my sister-in-law Kim currently has the book. Most of the authors I have here I love - Charles de Lint is one of my favourited fantasy writers, Margaret Atwood was my adolescent introduction to adult Canadian fiction when I read 'The Edible Woman' while on summer vacation at a cottage, but I don't like all her writing. I love LMM Montgomery and would have put Anne of Green Gables on the list only i discovered I don't own it!!!! Yikes, one of my all-time favourite children's book growing up......I have the other two - Anne of Avonlea and Anne of the Island - in the original covers that I discovered the series in, so I want Anne of GG in that series, and I guess I haven't found a good enough copy yet. It is a good feeling to know that I had to leave some books off the list! Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay, and his Sailing to Sarantium series (I read book one, haven't read book 2 yet).

Of the ones I've chosen, Louise Penny is getting good reviews for her mystery series, of which Still Life is the first one.

I forgot Giles Blount!!!! My mother is buying the latest one for me for Christmas!!! Uh oh, there may be some tinkering with this list, and the 888 challenge, then, since I love Giles Blount! If you haven't read 40 Words for Sorrow (the first one in the series), then I highly, highly recommend it. Wonderful series set in a fictional town in northwestern Ontario.

Dragon Charmer by Jan Siegel.......the Benny Cooperman mysteries.......there were lots more that I would have liked to put on my list. No Logo by Naomie Klein, which I really want to read, but don't own yet, and until my LSS gets a new contract, I can't add too many books I have to buy. There's always the library, but I confess I like to own books. It's one of my few vices, but as my sister Patricia can say, you can get me into a bookstore, but you can't get me out of one!!!! My eldest son used to cry as soon as we crossed the threshold of one, when he was a baby.

So, as dinner calls - our two year old - wants ketchup with his spaghetti! yecch! - I hope you find some new Canadian authors to read from my list. Happy reading!!

2 comments:

John Mutford said...

I certainly agree that Canadian Lit can be hit-or-miss (though to be fair, I'm sure any country could say that). I think we've had a tendency to think that anything slow paced and character driven is somehow intellectually superior- when some of it's just dry and pretentious. I do think that trend is changing and people are taking more risks, but maybe I'm being overly optimistic. Looking forward to your posts!

Jodie Robson said...

Does Jan Siegel have Canadian connections? I didn't know...I kind of thought of her as a British author?

I found your comments very interesting. Have to think about them, and I shall look forward to reading your reviews.