Tuesday 16 October 2007

Bear dream

I had one of my bear dreams last night. For those of you who don't know, bear is my medicine helper. I'm not going into my spiritual beliefs right now, but any time a bear shows up is important for me. So I dreamt last night that I was at a house by a marsh, and a man was going out with a gun to hunt a grizzly bear. He had met her long ago as a child and survived (the bear never attacked him) and now he was going out to hunt her. He had a rifle, and as he set out to the marsh where the bear was, the scene changed to show Charles de Lint at a bookstore signing books, and I was there to interview him. There was a small shelf of 20 books below the counter, and I was supposed to ask him about one of them. I saw Stanislaw Lem, and others, pulling out eventually Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things. I woke up then.

I have added Neil Gaiman's blog under writing blogs on the sidebar, because his site is fun, interesting, and gives a close-up look at the writing life - he writes very frequently on it, almost daily. When I checked today his site (because of the dream) I saw he had written yesterday about 'why write?' go check it out, if you are interested in writing, or in how books are written. I haven't experienced that flow of writing often enough yet, but with the book I am working on now, I have sometimes - it is an absolute thrill when suddenly the writing and everything in the story I've put makes sense.
I'll write more later, but for now The Tudors is on CBC! I think my dream is about writing, so I will get back to it - also the coincidence of adding Fragile Things last minute to my 888 challenge, and dream of it a night later?? H-m-m-m.....

No comments: